Episode 8: Sustainable development and healthy local economies
Original Air Date: 11/18/11, 7:30 p.m., KCPT
Watch the complete eighth episode below
The November 17, 2011, episode of Imagine KC features members of the region's Creating Sustainable Places coordinating committee in a roundtable discussion about how sustainable development practices help to create a healthier, more efficient local economy. The conversation will provide concrete examples of how planning for the region's future by focusing on vibrant centers, connected corridors and natural resources conservation will benefit the economy by:
- Saving money on local government infrastructure costs and household energy costs;
- Providing greater access to jobs, housing, services, education and workforce development opportunities;
- Sparking reinvestment along corridors and in historic centers to support retail and business opportunities that provide jobs and greater access to services;
- Promoting more efficient use of greenspace and valuable natural resources;
- Spurring innovation that expands the workforce development system and connects isolated communities to jobs in high-growth sectors.
Roundtable participants also share unique perspectives and experiences related to the critical role that sustainable development plays in the future of our region's economic health.